Commercially available successor to McMurtry Spéirling to be unveiled at Goodwood Festival of Speed: the McMurtry Spéirling PURE.
Spéirling PURE track car objectives
- To bring back legendary fan car technology
- To restore passion for small and lightweight cars
- To make record breaking performance accessible to track driving enthusiasts.
Key Facts – Spéirling PURE track car
- It’s the first commercially available sealed skirt fan car – an opportunity to own and exploit this historically significant technology. 3G cornering now possible at accessible speeds.
- Its capability will exceed that of the machine which holds the Goodwood Festival of Speed Hillclimb record. It is focused on multi lap runs on full race circuits with fast charge turnaround.
- It is eligible for the GT1 Sports Club. An exclusive hypercar driving programme held in the heart of the Fanatec GT World Challenge race weekends. Destinations include International FIA circuits in Europe, Asia and America.
- Validation Prototype (VP1) will be unveiled to the public at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. It will be in the supercar paddock neighbouring the start line.
- Pre-production protypes will follow in 2024.
- Final Production will be limited to 100 units, deliveries will start in 2025.
- From £820,000 + taxes
Headline Technical Information
- Patented Downforce-on-Demand Fan System
- 1.02m height x 1.58m width x 3.45m length
- <1000 kg Weight
- 1000 bhp (745kW) Peak Output
- 190 mph Top Speed
- Rear Wheel Drive
- 60 kWh Battery System – developed with Molicel
- Fast Charge in under 20 mins
- Carbon Fibre Monocoque designed to meet motorsport standards
- Adjustable pedals and steering wheel to accommodate drivers up to 6ft 7” (2.0m) and 150kg.
- Slick Tyres – 27/65-18 (Front), 30/68-18 (Rear)
Thomas Yates, founding director: “The Spéirling PURE will herald a new era on the track. The sound, grip, acceleration, aesthetics and technology of this car are distinct. Witnessing the car as a spectator or from the cockpit offers a rare and exhilarating experience. With pre-orders from around the globe, I can’t wait for fan cars at the racetrack to become a new normality.”
Max Chilton, development driver: “Proving the Spéirling’s advantage via the outright hillclimb record at Goodwood was a proud life achievement. Since then, it’s been rewarding to see what customers can achieve in the driving seat too. It’s hugely satisfying to be part of the company that are bringing this game changing technology to driving enthusiasts”.
Henry Catchpole, automotive journalist, after driving the Goodwood record holding Spéirling: “I’m not saying this is [like] walking on the moon, but in automotive terms, this is incredible”.
Where to see the validation prototype
To see a Spéirling PURE and meet with the sales team, please visit the McMurtry Automotive stand at the Goodwood Festival of Speed from 13th-16th July 2023, in the Supercar paddock near the start line.
Ownership enquiries can also be made via www.mcmurtry.com/speirling-pure/.
(Gloucestershire, 21 June 2023) Taking the outright hill record at Goodwood demonstrated the performance potential of a modern fan car and in the process of doing so created automotive history.
Now it is possible to own an evolution of that record breaking vehicle, in one of the most extreme, no rules track cars on the planet: the McMurtry Spéirling PURE.
Its natural home is on race circuits, where McMurtry’s bespoke fan downforce system gives drivers a step change in usable grip. It unlocks a new experience by delivering constant and approachable downforce, all of the time, regardless of speed. It is not affected by yaw angle or wind direction either. The sub 1000kg drivers car is focused on providing some of the most significant and talked about laps of an individual’s endeavours on a race circuit, time and time again.
Direction changes are intensified. Senses are heightened as the rapid yet playful platform invites drivers to push harder than they thought possible. Braking and turn in points are redefined. Superior traction gives new operating regions to exploit on track. It’s driving on a new level.
The downforce-on-demand system offers the greatest benefit to drivers where most time is spent on track, in the low and medium speed corners. Spéirling PURE owners will have the tools to access the G forces felt in top flight motorsport, as cornering in excess of 3G can be achieved even in some of the tightest corners on Grand Prix Circuits – for example ‘The Loop’ and ‘Village’ at Silverstone, or the famous Monaco hairpin if one can gain track access.
To truly cut through the air onto its way to a top speed of 190mph, and to optimise energy consumption, the streamlined body shape is vital. The frontal area is minimised by making the driver both the lowest and tallest point in the car and batteries occupy the space between the wheels and under the drivers legs in a U shape. This allows the cars frontal area to remain more akin to the classically proportioned 1960’s grand prix racers at 1.02m tall and 1.58m wide (3.45m long).
The 18” tyres of section widths 270mm front and 300mm rear fill the arches with a powerful stance. When combined with the patented downforce-on-demand system, it is a recipe for total track domination. The intellectual property protection on the system means McMurtry are now the custodians of this era defining advantage.
Powertrain system performance and efficiency is balanced to maximise run time and minimise charge time, whilst delivering average lap speeds not seen before on many circuits. The cadence of driving and charging time fits nicely into the schedule of premium track programmes, such as the GT1 Sports Club, for which the Spéirling PURE is eligible. As a baseline the car is capable of doing 10 laps of Silverstone National at lap record pace and then fast charging in 20 minutes to run again. Tantalisingly the car has potential to go even faster, for a shorter qualifying simulation.
Production will be limited to 100 units. Existing deposit holders will receive delivery in 2025.
The validation prototype will continue to test in the UK and Europe in 2023 alongside pursuing a record-breaking programme. This will be followed by pre-production prototypes in 2024, ahead of production starting in 2025.
For those familiar with the Goodwood Hillclimb record holding Spéirling, McMurtry Automotive have been busy over the last 12 months. Here are some of the changes found on the Spéirling PURE prototype:
- All new fan system – 15% increase in fan efficiency, 14% weight saving and significantly enhanced tolerance to flow variation.
- Updated skirt design 15% lighter
- New E-axle, Goodwood spec acceleration with 190mph top speed and 0.5% improvement gearbox efficiency.
- New battery with improved thermal management and 3% mass saving enabled by Molicel cells and 15.5% mass saving on battery casing.
- Revised chassis saving 4% mass.
- Revised wheel arch and underbody aerodynamics.
- New electrical architecture saving 35% on wiring loom mass.
- Exterior – Wider tyres for increased and more progressive lateral grip. 60mm wider per tyre. And now on 18” wheels vs 19” previously.
- Front Tyres increased in width from 21/64R19 to 27/65R18, +28% width.
- Rear Tyres increased in width from 24/640R19 to 30/68R18, +25% width.
- Wheel rims 2% lighter on front and 12% on rear.
- Suspension and bodywork re-engineered.
- Revised pedal box saving 17% mass and addition of optional ABS
- 2.5% reduction in brake system assembly mass
- Lightened power steering unit saving 20% mass
- McMurtry’s ambition is to become one of the world’s most prestigious and long-standing automotive brands, founded on motorsport innovation.
- Inspired by legends of the past, we champion small and lightweight.
- We proudly showcase British innovation and engineering design.