- McMurtry Automotive and Molicel have signed a strategic technical partnership designed to demonstrate and improve current and future generations of Molicel power-optimised battery cells.
- Molicel is involved in a number of key projects with McMurtry Automotive, advancing new cell implementation.
- Molicel engineers hold core competencies in material research, cell design and advanced manufacturing along with testing capability. Together, with McMurtry’s application specific knowledge, future generations of cells will be delivered with increased performance.
- The McMurtry Spéirling will be a high-speed test bed for new Molicel technology. It is an electric car with immense lap time capability. The Goodwood Edition car does 0-60mph in under 1.5 secs, with unique fan powered downforce of over 2000kg, which is more than double its own weight. The carbon fibre all-electric track car has just claimed the outright record at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and won the event. Molicel representatives from Taiwan and Canada were at Goodwood to meet interested parties throughout the weekend and support the team.
- Molicel is recognised as the first choice for world leading manufacturers in applications such as sports cars, hypercars, motorcycle, VTOL, aerospace and heavy-duty tools.
McMurtry Automotive and Molicel have today announced their strategic technical partnership.
The two companies will introduce new cell technologies using the McMurtry Spéirling as a high-speed test bed. The high power running at over 200mph when in grand prix circuit configuration, combined with rapid charge and discharge cycles, is a natural fit to accelerate cell technology and application knowledge.
The two companies’ technologies are complementary. Molicel delivers niche, advanced, energy dense, high charge and discharge rate cells in applications such as sports car, motorcycle, VTOL, aerospace and heavy-duty tools. McMurtry Automotive is industry leading in overall battery design and cell integration techniques with proprietary technology in thermal management, busbar design, structural integrity, safety and overall pack geometry, including pending IP protection. The combination of the two is a natural fit for achieving high performance in an electric vehicle and the result is arguably the most power dense and energy dense battery in the market.
When setting out to deliver a groundbreaking project – the ultra-compact, sub one tonne, 1000 bhp per tonne Spéirling track car – McMurtry engineers found industry leading performance in power density and C-rate capability when assessing Molicel products. Molicel’s cells have since been powering the McMurtry Sperling which first debuted at Goodwood Festival of Speed 2021 and has just set the all-time record there in 2022.
Thomas Yates, Director: “The battery pack is a defining element of our unique car concept. The cell capability within that has a first order effect on the mass and packaging volume of the entire car, plus the obvious power output to the drive motors. Therefore, in the heart of our car, we are leaving no stone unturned to deliver a power dense, compact and lightweight battery. The Molicel cells have delivered a competitive advantage in achieving these aims and they have been powered the novel performance that the world has just witnessed at Goodwood. I’m also looking forward to integrating the next generation of Molicel cells into our future products.”
The battery pack is engineered and built by the McMurtry team in the UK using a P26A cylindrical lithium ion Molicel product to achieve a 60 kWh capacity.
The key requirements for the cells are high power, low impedance and fast charge/discharge.
One benefit of a low impedance cell is a comparatively small temperature increase during high current drain therefore thermal design at pack system level can be simplified, making the resulting battery pack smaller and lighter.
Molicel’s future developments include an even higher power cell capable of delivering 5C fast charge (6 mins = charge up 50% capacity). These could feature in future McMurtry and customer applications.
E-One Moli Energy Corporation, established in 1998, is a world class manufacturer of high performance, superior quality rechargeable lithium-ion cells and battery pack products. The company provides power optimized cylindrical cells by the brand MOLICEL®.
With over 40 years’ rechargeable lithium-ion knowhow and innovative technology research and development, MOLICEL® is famous for its excellent power density product which both presents high discharge and fast charge capability, balanced with good energy density. The company has been recognized as the first choice for world leading manufacturers in applications such as sports car/motorcycle, VTOL, aerospace and heavy-duty tools.
MOLICEL®’s R&D and engineers hold core competencies in material research, cell design and advanced manufacturing along with testing capability. These four cornerstones make this medium size but tech-leading cell maker stands in a very competitive position in the market. To react to next generation cell design and state-of-the-art manufacturing, MOLICEL®’s new expansion plant was announced in March 2021 with US$660 million investment, and is expected to come online in 2023. Total annual capacity in 2024 will reach 3.3 GWh.
MOLICEL® belongs to the energy business of Taiwan Cement Corporation (TCC). TCC is the first listing company in Taiwan stock market. The group has business units in the field of power plant, renewable energy and BESS.
For more information see http://www.molicel.com/
Follow on LinkedIn
Emma Dong, Marketing Manager
E-ONE MOLI ENERGY CORP.
+886 (2) 2567 3500 #20862